We’re joined by Dr. Jessica Calarco, Associate Professor of Sociology at Indiana University, who studies inequity in family life and education. Her recent book, Negotiating Opportunity: How the Middle Class Secures Advantages in School, highlights many of the challenges that come with socioeconomically diverse schools.
How we show up as integrating parents, how we navigate the line between asking-for-assistance and asking-for-(expecting?)-accommodations, and how we parent our own children has an impact on the other students and families in the school.
Join our Patreon to support this work, and connect with us and other listeners to discuss these issues even further.
- Jessica Calarco. Associate Professor of Sociology at Indiana University.
- Dr. Calarco – Negotiating Opportunity: How the Middle Class Secures Advantages in School
- Mental Floss discussion of Dr. Calarco’s study of New Yorker cartoons
- Dr. Calarco – Free Range’ Parenting’s Unfair Double Standard
- Viviana Zelizer – Pricing the Priceless Child
- Sinikka Elliott & Sarah Bowen – Pressure Cooker: Why Home Cooking Won’t Solve Our Problems and What We Can Do About It