About Book Club
The Integrated Schools Book Club is a way for people from across the country to come together and discuss books, articles, videos, and podcasts pertaining to school integration. While the conversations are geared for parents, everyone is welcome.
We meet via video-conference and keep the sessions small so that everyone has a chance to talk — this is not a webinar! There is no cost to attend — you need only internet access at the time of the meeting (and if you don’t have access to a computer with a camera, no worries).
How Book Club Works
- Register using the links on this page (you’ll be emailed a confirmation with simple instructions for how to log in to the video conference)
- Invite your friends! Post on your social media!
- Get ahold of the book/ readings/ podcast/ videos
- Read/ Listen/ View (do your homework)
- Join the video-conference discussion at the scheduled time and talk!
Join us in March for the next Integrated Schools Book Club discussion!
We will be reading We Gon’ Be Alright: Notes on Race and Resegregation by Jeff Chang.
In these provocative, powerful essays acclaimed writer/journalist Jeff Chang (Can’t Stop Won’t Stop, Who We Be) takes an incisive and wide-ranging look at the recent tragedies and widespread protests that have shaken the country.
Through deep reporting with key activists and thinkers, passionately personal writing, and distinguished cultural criticism, We Gon’ Be Alright links #BlackLivesMatter to #OscarsSoWhite, Ferguson to Washington D.C., the Great Migration to resurgent nativism. Chang explores the rise and fall of the idea of “diversity,” the roots of student protest, changing ideas about Asian Americanness, and the impact of a century of racial separation in housing. He argues that resegregation is the unexamined condition of our time, the undoing of which is key to moving the nation forward to racial justice and cultural equity.
Don’t have time to read the book? Don’t worry!
You don’t need to have read the book to participate! Check out these links to interviews and discussions about Jeff and his work:
- Check out this 13 minute interview from WBEZ.
- This series of four ~8 minute videos “explores a nation of historically unprecedented diversity that also seems to be becoming more separate and unequal” by asking the questions: “how did we become so divided, and what can we do now to be alright?”
- Watch Jeff speak about the book at the 2016 Wisconsin Book Festival (this video is a little over an hour long, including Q&A).
- Read an interview with Jeff from right after the 2016 presidential election.
Register to join in the discussion by clicking the date/time that works for you:
We are thrilled to announce a partnership with IndieBound – a community of local, independent bookstores. If you use our affiliate link to buy the book or any other books, not only will you be supporting a local, independent book store, but a portion of the proceeds will also come back to Integrated Schools.