Walk into any racially mixed high school and you will see Black, White, and Latino youth clustered in their own groups. Is this self-segregation a problem to address or a coping strategy? Beverly Daniel Tatum, a renowned authority on the psychology of racism, argues that straight talk about our racial identities is essential if we are serious about enabling communication across racial and ethnic divides. These topics have only become more urgent as the national conversation about race is increasingly acrimonious. This fully revised edition is essential reading for anyone seeking to understand the dynamics of race in America.
You might also be interested in this this video of Dr. Tatum speaking before the National Center for Institutional Diversity (2016).
HOW Book Club WORKS:
- Register for one of the below times… (We keep these conversation groups small to encourage meaningful discussion. We also try to offer a variety of times to accommodate lives and time zones. Please let us know if you’re interested in participating but cannot make one of these times work &/or if you need to cancel).
- Get the book and/or articles.
- Read the book and/or articles.
- At your chosen time, log in through your computer or phone (it’s easy and free), and join the conversation with parents from across the country!
- Help us spread the word to your friends, on social media, etc.! Share this link https://integratedschools.org/online-book-club/