The Integrated Schools Book Club is a way for people from across the country to come together and discuss books/articles/videos/podcasts pertaining to school integration. While the conversations are geared for parents, everyone is welcome. We meet via video-conference and keep the sessions small so that everyone has a chance to talk — this is not a webinar! There is no cost to attend — you need only internet access at the time of the meeting (and if you don’t have access to a computer with a camera, no worries).
How Book Club Works:
- Register by clicking on the Current Session (you’ll be emailed a confirmation with simple instructions for how to log in to the video conference)
- Invite your friends! Post on your social media!
- Get ahold of the book/readings/podcast/videos
- Read/Listen/View: do your homework.
- Join the video-conference discussion at the given time and talk!
Join us at the end of February to discuss Elizabeth McRae’s compelling history of how white women have ‘tended the gardens of segregation’.
“Examining racial segregation from 1920s to the 1970s, Mothers of Massive Resistance explores the grassroots workers who maintained the system of racial segregation and Jim Crow. For decades in rural communities, in university towns, and in New South cities, white women performed myriad duties that upheld white over black: censoring textbooks, denying marriage certificates, deciding on the racial identity of their neighbors, celebrating school choice, canvassing communities for votes, and lobbying elected officials. They instilled beliefs in racial hierarchies in their children, built national networks, and experimented with a color-blind political discourse. Without these mundane, everyday acts, white supremacist politics could not have shaped local, regional, and national politics the way it did or lasted as long as it has.”
For this February Book Club, we are thrilled to have Peter Piazza, Doctoral Fellow at the Center for Equity facilitating the discussions (you also know him from the School Desegregation Notebook and the great news round-ups he shares with Integrated Schools!).
- read the book Mothers of Massive Resistance: White Women and the Politics of White Supremacy
- &/or read McRae’s article in the NY Times: The Women Behind White Power (2/2/18)
- &/or listen to the Integrated Schools podcast interview with Dr. McRae
- &/or watch this video of Dr. McRae discussing the book
Register to join in the discussion by clicking the date/time that works for you: